Virtual Reality: The Next Big Thing in Education Technology
Currently, the schools and colleges are stepping towards more technology and innovation. There are investing high in the most advanced educational tools to provide the best education for the students. The most commonly used technology in education sectors is Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL), Computer Based Training (CBT), Multimedia Technology and so on. The emergence of technology remodels the classroom and students. This article talks more about “Virtual Reality” which is the next big thing in educational technology.
WHAT IS VIRTUAL REALITY
Virtual reality is built in an artificial environment with the support of technology and software. The user experiences a simulated and real environment when they start using this software. In simple notation, you can experience a real and physical world by using electronic equipment to get into the virtual world.
VIRTUAL REALITY IN EDUCATION SYSTEMS
In the digital era, virtual reality took its big step for the school and college students. The main theme behind the usage of virtual reality software is to make the students more exciting while learning. Moreover, they can experience a real and practical world virtually. Every student doesn’t have the capability to hold on the concept very fastly. Generally, the student’s brain tends to remember only 10% of what it reads, 20% of what is heard and 90 % of what it does. So, bringing a virtual reality among education provides mindblowing impact towards students and teachers.
FUTURE OF VIRTUAL REALITY
Virtual Reality is an unbelievable resource for subjects like science and social studies. Some of the school subjects are remarkably dull for school students. To get interested and excited over the subjects, schools can use the technology of virtual reality. Since this technology is related to visualization, children may get practical knowledge and like to explore the real world in an artificial environment. In spite of expensiveness, there is a good demand for this technology in the education system. Moreover, when this technology is implemented, students get a world-class education with deep knowledge and practical exposure. There will be a high demand for this technology in the upcoming generation.
ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE OF USING VIRTUAL REALITY
We witness many new technologies are unfolding, there could be both advantage and disadvantage for each technology. Let me showcase some pros and cons of using virtual reality technology
BENEFITS OF USING VIRTUAL REALITY TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION
1. PROVIDES OUTSTANDING VISUALIZATION – Virtual reality provides an outstanding visual experience with interactive 3-Dimensions. When students start using virtual reality, they experience being themselves in the real-world with an artificial environment. For instance, if the teachers need to teach them the cultures and geographic specifications of any country, then they could install the specific program and make the students experience the feel of being in that particular country and can teach them the culture and geographical specifications with practical exposure.
2. EXCITEMENT & INTERESTS – Virtual reality provides great impact and excitement with the irrespective of age. From kindergarten to grade XII, students get more excitement while using virtual reality. As they start witnessing everything in a virtual state, they get more interested in the subjects and there is a chance of getting high scores in the exam. Moreover, students will feel more motivated to learn with the help of these technologies.
3. CHANCE OF INCREASING STUDENTS ENGAGEMENT- When we look upon the traditional classroom learning method, the tutors cannot be able to engage all the students towards the subjects. The tutors find it hard to create engagement within a class. Whereas, the presence of virtual reality in educations, increases high productive engagement. Students are very much determined towards the subject as they experience amazing learning in an artificial environment.
4. DOESN’T FEEL LIKE WORK – Every student enjoys the way of learning because virtual reality uses electronic gadgets and earphones. As the student experiences amazing visualization through videos and learning new information, they do not feel like they work hard. With the practice of virtual reality technology in schools, students can also eliminate the stress on studies, homework and school kinds of stuff.
DRAWBACKS OF USING VIRTUAL REALITY TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION
1. DETERIORATES HUMAN CONNECTIONS – Even though virtual reality is a big asset for the education systems, the continuous practice of virtual reality can lead to a great disadvantage for the education system. In the traditional learning method, students get into the interaction between the teachers. Therefore, human connection i.e., students and teacher interaction are much good. When virtual reality came to existence, the interaction between students and teachers falls down. Students get more interaction only towards the virtual world rather than in the real-world.
2. ADDICTION TO VIRTUAL WORLD – Some people are addicted more towards the virtual environment. As the era of digitalization and technology, we can even witness many of the common people who are getting so much addicted to virtual reality games. If we rely too much upon virtual reality, it’s quite difficult to come back again to the real environment. As a solution, the user must rely on this software not frequently.
3. QUITE EXPENSIVE – It is a well-known fact that advances in technology are always expensive. As technology grows and moves forward, expenses also stepping forward. When this technology is implemented, every student gets excited to use it. Since the virtual reality technology does not afford for every student, it is quite pricey in nature. Moreover, since its highly expensive, virtual reality is accessed only by rich ones. Consider people with poverty, they cannot afford for a world-class education. So, this situation may create inequality in the education system.
4. FUNCTIONALITY ISSUES – Since the technology – “virtual reality” deals with the program and software, there is a high chance of getting functionality issues. Things with programmed software may sometimes go wrong and can have some trouble in functionalities. If this functionality issue is prolonged, it may cause an interruption in the academics.
CONCLUSION Virtual reality is a very great technology for the education system and other industries. The implementation of virtual reality provides a great and positive impact on students. But, relying too much on technology can cause a disadvantage for education and the students. There must be limited usage of every technology. Moreover, depending more on programmed software and technology can make the students get addicted. So, practice the usage of virtual reality without addicting towards it.
Varshini Murali is a content strategist of SchoolBasix, who research on latest topics what education industry speaks about. Specializes in handling blogs that potential means of marketing and circulating across social media and holds a masters degree in marketing.